Wednesday, October 17, 2012

World's First Self-Defined Popthropologist

This is probably the most partisanly political post you'll ever find here at the Discomforts of Diversity. Those who have read this blog will probably have intuited that my interests lie elsewhere. However, about a month ago, my husband pointed me to an article in the Financial Times about will.i.am, an American rapper, musician, songwriter, singer, entrepreneur, actor, DJ, producer, and member of the hip hop group the Black Eyed Peas. In addition to all those labels, he refers to himself as a popthropologist--a popular culture anthropologist.

The man is clever in many ways, and especially clever with words. Here's an example. He was raised by his mother in a troubled section of East L.A. But as soon as he could afford to, he moved his family to a Jewish area in the San Fernando Valley "to be near the rabbis. It was either drive-bys or rabbis. I picked the rabbis.”
     Okay. So now for the politics. The interviewer--Matthew Garrahan--asked will.i.am what might happen if Romney beats Obama.
People say Romney ran businesses and that means he should be president. But America isn't a business. America needs to be like a parent--what's good for our kids, where are they going to school, how can you guide them? Imagine if your parent was Enron and raised you like that. You don't want that dad."
Thank you, will.i.am. I like that. One of the best pitches I've heard from anyone so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It won't be news to you that I am a music nerd, as we are called these days. One may follow lyrics on one of the many apps (I prefer Soundhound, which tells one about the artist and music. It is available for electronic devices/ If you aim your device at the direction of the sound, within a few seconds, the song will come up and you and you can choose to read the lyrics).
I assume from your comments you do not listen to Rap.
Being from Detroit, I suggest you listen to Eminem (lyrics close by) and watch Eight Mile. his incredible movie about - well, you can guess. Point being that there are a number of Rappers rapping about important issues that affect all of us.
Unfortunately, we read about the low-life Rappers because good news of any category is generally not popular.
The first Black Eye Peas hit carries a very heavy message.
I'm not suggesting you trade your Beatles collection. "Imagine" says it all for me, but give Rap a chance. Sorry. Couldn't resist that!
Rose Sigman
Rasirds@cox.net

Susan Messer said...

Thanks for the comment. And thanks for the encouragement. I've seen Eight Mile and am familiar with some of this music, but may probe it further, now that I'm more interested in will.i.am. I do love the Beatles, but my musical tastes go far beyond that. We have quite the extensive world music collection--lots of African and Latin. Atlantic (from being up in Nova Scotia). A lot of New Orleans. The world is full of so many kinds of music.