Tuesday, March 22, 2011

100 Posts

I was all ready to write a serious post and had the thoughts worked out in my mind, but then I signed into my blog to discover the news that I have managed to write 100 posts.
  I'm not very good at celebrating. This is something I struggle with. When there's still so much work to do, and always so much trouble/pain in the world, how can I justify a celebration?
Still, why not, once in a while acknowledge an accomplishment, feel some pleasure in a job (reasonably) well done? As Rohan Maitzen noted on her wonderful blog the other day, in the context of a discussion of Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love, a book I haven't read and probably won't, the "juxtaposition of beauty and degradation does create a tension, one she [Gilbert] is honest enough to admit, but to turn away from beauty out of guilt would be what Will Ladislaw calls, in Dorothea [from Middlemarch], “'the fanaticism of sympathy.'” Good grief. I want to be a sympathetic person. but I don't want to be fanatically sympathetic.

 100 posts . . . that's no small potatoes. Right? Let's bring out that cake again.

Say amen, somebody.

8 comments:

rasirds@cox.net said...

Very large potatoes. The best part is that quality is way ahead of quantity!

Susan Messer said...

Oh, thanks. That's such a great compliment.

Jim Poznak said...

Amen, and Bravo!! Also, a very impressive sub-sub-quote about fanatical sympathy.

Susan Messer said...

Thank you, dear. I guess it's along the lines of a streak.

The Mom (Amy) said...

Amen for sure and we raise our forks (filled with strawberry birthday pie) to you! We certainly enjoy your writing... encore!

Susan Messer said...

So funny. I was just over at books for walls, and I thought of a birthday story, but it seemed too long to write, so I just slipped away without saying anything. Sorry. I'll be back soon. And happy birthday to your lovely girl.

Margaret P. said...

What kind of cake is that? Looks yummy. Happy 100!

Susan Messer said...

Oh, I love that cake. No idea what's inside. Just found the photo on the Internet. It's so extraordinarily festive though. I can't imagine how one would even get at it, to cut it. It's got that kind of frosting (fondant?) that I've seen on cakes in fancy bakeries. You can really sculpt and get wild colors with it.